Passport validity for Singapore, Malaysia, Thai
  • Hi i am planning to travel in a couple of weeks to Singapore,Malaysia and Thailand for 2 weeks with my British passport but the only thing is it expires in April 2011. Can i still travel with it?
  • Generally no, a good rule is you need 6 months PLUS the expected length of stay at the time of entry. Certainly true for Indonesia, where the rule is more of a guideline, and can be circumvented by using informal immigration procedures. Basically the last 6 months on a passport are useless.
  • Omar is correct. You will be cautioned by the travel agency that your passport must have at least 6 months validity. Once an agent sees your passport or hears about expiry date, you will not be issued a ticket. Even if you are prepared to be responsible, and asked that etickets be issued, agency might be reluctant since they will be charged if you are deported. Even if you managed to obtain a boarding pass; staff at airport check-in counter, the boarding passport check counter might reject you. Even if you board the plane, and arrive at Malaysia or Singapore, Immigrations can detain you or refuse you entry and you will be asked to leave on next plane - even if there is no direct route.

Rules can be strict. To make a worry-ful trip successful, simply request for passport renewal using expedited service, receive a new passport before travel. One official saying no will costs you in cancellation fees unless you expect all the officials at entry and exit points in 3 countries to be kind to your plight.

I know that the less than six months validity is waived for situation eg travel and return to Britain
  • we are planning to travel Malaysia for 2 days but my child passport has only 5 months 23 days validity, we live in Singapore and holding US passport. Is it OK to travel like this?
  • my passport will expire in nov'2011, but i need to go to Singapore in mid of Jun'11. Did i need to renew my passport.
    Last year i went to singapore, i had enquiry the people who work in Singapore custom, she say at least one month.
    did it true?
  • These rules are not very strict, depending on the customs on duty actually.

I have travelled few times with passport less than 3 months left. Generally customs were nice and only asked to see my return tickets, making sure that I would leave before passport expired. I guess most think it is not wise to turn away visitors since they generate incomes to local businesses and rejecting would be visitors would not be beneficial in the long run.

But that is just my experience. It is always wiser to travel safe and not taking any chances.
  • Hi,

Please help me to clarify regarding this issue,i would like to travel from johor to singapore for 1 day only on 29/12, however my passport will expire on 19 February, can I still visit on that day?

Thanks a Lot
  • I AM GOING TO MALAYSIA NEXT YEAR TO VISIT MY SONS WHO ARE MALAYSIAN NATIONALS I AM AWARE OF THE 9O DAY RULE BUT CANNOT AFFORD THE MALAYSIAN SECOND HOME PROGRAMME , IS IT STILL POSSIBLE TO RENIEW A 90 DAY SOCIAL PAS BY VISITNG SINGAPORE ?
  • hi..my daughter and i are planning to go to malaysia this june..and were holding a new passport and it only 5 months..it is posibble for us to enter malaysia?
  • I am going to Malaysia and I only have a child passport but I am now 18 will this be OK or do I need to apply for a full 10 year passport?
    Thanks
  • i going to travel to Phuket, Thailand on JUN 2012. But my Passport Expired on November 2012, can i still travel? i have bought a return ticket also.

reply thousand appreciate thanks.
  • i am travelling to siem reap cambodia this nov25 and my passport expires on feb2013. i dont have enought time to renew. i have my return ticket already. would it be fine to travel?

Help.
  • I left the UK to fly to Singapore via Amsterdam yesterday with 5 months and 4 days left on my passport. I got through the airport at Birmingham okay but my passport was scrutinised at Amsterdam and they took me to one side and would not budge on allowing me through. They said if I had have got through then I would have been sent back and KLM would have been heavily fined for allowing me through. DO NOT RISK IT ANY ANY COST.
  • I just got my passport and wanting to travel to Malaysia...what do i need to expect.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged