Getting a Cuba tourist card
  • I am planning on a possible 14 night all inclusive break in Cuba with my partner - how do we obtain a tourist card? also what is the currency in Cuba and can it be brought before you leave the u.k.?
  • 1.) If you're on an all-inclusive package deal then your Tourist card will be supplied to you by your Tour Operator.

2.) Everything you need to know about Currency Exchange is here in the 6th post:
    currency exchange in Cuba

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • hi,
    im from australia and travelling from mexico to cuba for two weeks. am i able to get a tourist card from the airport in mexico before i leave?
    thanks.
  • Jen,

Yes, you can buy a Cuban Tourist Card right at the airport in Mexico, no worries.

(Do NOT listen to the Cuban Embassy in Sidney, they will insist you purchase the Tourist Card from them before you depart from Australia. Don't listen to them, it's an expensive scam.)

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry

Jose Raul: That's a really useless post.
  • Hi,

Im a UK citizen travelling to Cuba from Panama City in April for a 2 week break, would it be possible for me to get a tourist card at Panama city airport or do I need to visit the embassy and obtain a visa?

Thanks,

Alex.
  • Dear Alex,

Unlike departing from the UK or Europe the Cuban Tourist Card is a simple issue when departing from the Western Hemisphere.

You will always either be given the Tourist Card as part of your ticket or be afforded the opportunity to purchase the Tourist Card right at the airport when you're departing from Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Grand Cayman, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, Venezuela and wherever else I'm forgetting.

Bottom line: No worries... everyone on your flight in Panama will be purchasing the TC right at check-in. No one can board the aircraft with it.

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • JEN FROM OZ,
    Make sure you take Canadian/Euros/Pounds Dollars with you to Cuba.
    This is very important!
    Have fun
  • Jen, there are Credit and Debit Cards that work fine too, no need to take all your budget in foreign currency cash...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147270-c109329/Cuba:Caribbean:Money.Exchange.html

Cheers,
    Terry
  • I AM FLYING FROM AMSTERDAM TO HAVANA WITH MARTINAIR IN TWO DAYS TIME. I BOOKED FLIGHT ONLY, BUT HAVE INDEPENDENTLY BOOKED ACCOMODATION FOR MY FIRST THREE NIGHTS IN HAVANA. CAN I JUST PURCHASE A CUBA TOURIST CARD AT SCHIPHOL, ONCE I PRODUCE INSURANCE, PROOF OF ACCOMODATION FOR PART OF TRIP AND RETURN FLIGHT?
    THANKS
    AOIFE
  • 1.) Proof of accommodation in Cuba is not a requirement for a Tourist Card.

2.) Proof of Insurance also has nothing whatsoever to do with acquiring a Tourist Card.

3.) I have no clue what facilities are available at Schiphol to purchase the Tourist Card directly or if Martinair makes arrangement for you to purchase the Card directly from them, but you MUST confirm this before you arrive at the airport. There are some departure points in Europe where it is not possible to purchase a Tourist Card and it 's not possible to board the flight without it.

You need to call Martinair right now and confirm one way or another of they supply the Tourist Card. If you have problems getting through to them or their info is sketchy then get in touch with Anja here: http://www.cuba-junky.com/ She is based in Amsterdam and knows Cuba intimately. Whatever she tells you will be fact.

Good luck.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi,
    I am an Australian traveling to Cuba from Paris CDG, I have a ticket with Air France purchased via the internet, not a travel agent.
    Any ideas where I get a tourist card in CDG, or can I get one through Air France?

Thanks,

Possy
  • Air France will NOT help you. They'll laugh as they deny you boarding because you don't have a Tourist Card.

Contact these guys to see what they suggest... perhaps there is now a place at CDG to buy the Tourist Card...

http://www.cuba-junky.com/index.html

Cheers,
    Terry
  • I'll give them a try, though I had heard you can buy a Tourist Card at the airport, I just had no idea where to start looking.

Thanks,

Possy.
  • "... though I had heard you can buy a Tourist Card at the airport..."

============================================

Never trust ANYTHING you "hear" about CDG in general and Air France in particular - only depend on info from solid sources.

Good luck with your research.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi, i am goign to cuba with arkefly (dutch airline from amsterdam) .....the airline includes tourist cards....however the site states that this applies to dutch and belgian nationals. I am british...can i use the tourist card provided by them or are there any exta requirements??
  • All nationalities are issued the same Tourist Card, no worries.

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi, i am from Colombia, and i want to go to Cuba with some friends, they are from SriLanka and Venenzuela. We have the resident card from Canada, but we dont know if we just can travel there with our native passaport and the resident card, or if we have to get any visa to get in to the country??
    We are gonna buy the package online, but we are also afraid if some of us cannot get in to the country.

I hope you answer my question!!
    Thanks!
  • Read my post above from March 20th.

No problems.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Sorry... meant to say March 30th.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi there,

I am an australian passport holder travelling from Vancouver to Cuba. I have conflicting information about obtaining a tourist card/visa for travel to cuba. You have stated that this can be purchased from the airport of departure in canada, but on the www.cuba-junky.com website it says to contact the nearest cuban embassy to obtain this. It would be great if you can indeed get it when departing, as consulates and embassy can be a pain and time consuming, I leave in two weeks, so I want to be sure I have the right info!

Cheers if anyone can clarify!!!
  • Dave, Canada is the easiest country in the world for obtaining a Cuban Tourist Card. Your airline or tour operator MUST supply you with a Tourist Card. It's a no brainer.

Tranquilo and have a great trip.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi there!. I'm cuban but my husband and my son are turkish passport holders. We'll fly Dubai-London-Havana from Virgin Atlantic. Is there any possibility for them to get the Tourist Card at Gatwick Airport in London before departing?, or can they get it on arrival in Cuba?. We do not have enough time to buy the tourist card from any cuban consulate. Any information will be appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
  • Talk to Virgin. I have a feeling they might not supply Tourist Cards but perhaps there's an option to purchase one elsewhere at the London Airport. You will NOT be allowed to board the aircraft without a Tourist Card so do NOT leave this to the last minute. Get on the phone right now!

Cheers,
    Terry
  • I just did some checking and it's a fairly sure bet that Virgin does NOT supply Tourist Cards for independent travellers.

Get this sorted ASAP.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi Terry,

You seem very up to speed with all things Cuba tourist card related... So I just wanted to ask whether I will be able to obtain a tourist card at San Jose airport in Costa Rica before I fly to Cuba in 3 weeks time? As I am currently in Mexico and won't be able to visit my homeland (UK) Cuban embassy before the flight...

Apologies if you have already answered this question before, but I just wanted to be 100% sure before taking the flight!

Thanks

Scotty
  • 1.) To the Moderators of this Forum: Please do not edit my posts to include promo of your forum. In my Reply #2 above you edited my response to include, "... Also see the Word Travels overview to money and currency in Cuba..." That link has (in my opinion) incorrect info regarding Money Exchange in Cuba and I do NOT endorse that link so I fail to see why you would arbitrarily add this info to my personal reply. If you want to post a link then why didn't do you it using a new reply? Why attach it to my reply?

2.) Scotty: From My Reply #4 above to Alex: "... You will always either be given the Tourist Card as part of your ticket or be afforded the opportunity to purchase the Tourist Card right at the airport when you're departing from Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Grand Cayman, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, Venezuela and wherever else I'm forgetting..."

So, no worries getting the Tourist Card in Costa Rica.

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Thanks a lot Terry - much appreciated!

Scotty
  • Have fun, Scotty.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi Terry, point taken on the links in your posts, my apologies, and this is now removed.

I would *really* appreciate it if you could tell us what info needs changing in the Cuba section? Hope to hear back from you.

Thanks, Dave
  • Thanks Dave.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi Terry
    We are Australians and are flying Montego Bay to Havana with a stopover and flight change in Grand Cayman - with Cayman Airlines
    The Cuban embassy in Australia says we must purchase the Cuban Tourist Card from them before we leave Australia at a much inflated price. Cayman Airlines have said by email we can purchase the card from their counter at Grand Cayman Airport when we check in for the flight leg to Cuba
    Can you advise further on this?
    Thanks
    Alan
  • Alan, see my reply on the "best currency to take thread."

Have fun!

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Whoops, sorry Alan! Ignore my post above! I mixed up threads!

Regarding Tourist Cards, here's the scoop: Absolutely NO problems acquiring a Cuban Tourist Card from ANY departure point in Canada, Mexico, Central/South America or the Caribbean. Everyone else on your flight to Cuba from Grand Cayman Airport will be doing the same thing, you can't board the aircraft without it.

Do NOT listen to the Cuban Embassy in Sydney. They'll swear you must get the TC from them before you leave Oz. Ignore them, it's a rip-off scam...

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Thanks Terry
    Really helpful comments from you
    Alan
  • Hi terry,

I'm a French citizen living in US under a non-immigrant J-1 Visa.
    I plan to go to Cuba for christmas from The Bahamas or Mexico.

I'm lost but as far as I understand, I just have to purchase a Tourist card in the airport right before taking off to la havana ? That's it !?
  • Yes, that's correct. All you require to enter Cuba is your Passport and a Cuban Tourist Card.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Remember though Romino, that it is completely illegal for you to visit Cuba as a tourist. It's basically a non-issue for American citizens these days, but since you are living in the US as a foreign national your situation is slightly more complicated because you have ZERO rights in the US.

Travel smart...

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi Terry,

Does this also apply for South African Citizen's ? will I be able to get a Tourist card at the Grand Cayman Airpot?

is there enough Time with a 1.5hr stopover?
  • Your nationality is immaterial. Everyone on your flight with be purchasing a Tourist Card before boarding the aircraft.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • i will be flying to Cuba vis Panama in March. Is it possible to get a tourist card when i chak in for the COPA flight to Cuba ? Thanks

Tony
  • Dear Tony,

Unlike departing from the UK or Europe the Cuban Tourist Card is a simple issue when departing from North/Central/South America.

You will always either be given the Tourist Card as part of your ticket or be afforded the opportunity to purchase the Tourist Card right at the airport when you're departing from Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Grand Cayman, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Venezuela and PANAMA,

Everyone on your flight in Panama will be purchasing the TC right at check-in. No one can board the aircraft with it.

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Thanks Terry

Regards

Tony
  • Have fun Tony.

(And of course I meant to say, "No one can board the aircraft withOUT it."

Cheers,
    Terry
  • I'm an Australian travelling to the US under the visa waiver program. Then intend to visit Cuba via Mexico or Bahamas. I need to return to the US before returning to Australia. Will I have an issue returning to the US after Cuba ?
  • No.

The US CBP doesn't care about Cuban travel for non US citizens residing outside the US.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Many thanks, Terry.
    Merry Christmas!
  • I have a UK passport but live in Ireland, can you tell me the best way to get the Tourist Card/Visa please
  • It depends entirely on how you're travelling to Cuba. Are you flying on an all-inclusive package or independently?

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Hi Terry, haven't decided yet, trying to see if I can do the bookings myself as travel agents seem rather expensive! Do you know anything about car hire there?
  • 1.) The reason I asked is because with most package tours the Tourist Card is included, but if you're flying independently you have to arrange the TC on your own and you are NOT allowed to board the aircraft without it. ( Thomas Cook, MyTravel, First Choice/Thomson holidays & Cuba Holidays Direct supply usually supply it, Cubana or Virgin Atlantic may not.) If you can easily get to an Embassy/Consulate then here's a service that works very well:

https://secure.visacuba.com/pages/home.aspx

2.) A rental car is by far my favourite way to discover Cuba, but it IS NOT for everyone though! Here's a few thoughts...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k3817263-Rental_Cars_in_Cuba_My_Favourite_Way_to_Travel-Cuba.html

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Typo above... " If you CAN'T easily get to an Embassy/Consulate then here's a service that works very well..."

Cheers,
    Terry

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged