Is Thailand safe?
  • Thinking about going to Thailand at the start of a round the world trip. Someone told me it is getting unsafe and there were lots of riots in Bangkok - is it safe to travel in Thailand and Bangkok?? We also plan to go up to visit the hill tribes and Chiang Mai, then also down to the beach resorts down south. I assume its fine outside Bangkok - anyone been there recently who can advise??
  • There were recently protests that closed down the airports that are now re-opened in Bangkok. Some violence has also occured between police and protesters. None of this has been directed towards tourists. State department warnings advise to be careful not to join protests. All of this is in Bangkok and in concentrated places, most tourist destinations within the city are completely safe to visit. Chiang Mai and beach resorts will be unaffected.
  • The only recent problem in Thailand was a New Year's Eve fire in a Bangkok niteclub (accidental), and none of the violence of last year was directed at tourists or extended beyond Bangkok. Thailand's tourist destinations are as safe today as before the unrest; if you practice normal travel caution and awareness there shouldn't be any issues and your trip will hopefully be as enjoyable as planned!
  • Being a Thai myself, I would like to say that right now BKK is pretty safe for tourists to come and visit. The weather is very nice (it's like spring season in some of Western countries) as for the politics issue I would say it's getting better now comparing to closing the airport last Dec. So I would say it is one of the best places in Asia just to relax eat and shop!
    We also have northern cities (Chiangmai, Chiangrai, Mae Hong Sorn) and beaches (Phuket, Samui - famous for its full moon party, Hua Hin, Pattaya)
    Welcome to Thailand.
  • Hi there,

I am planning to come to Thailand (not for partying) but with my family as a destination to relax ......... i know Bkk is very crowded, but apart from bkk - what are the other decent places one can visit with family members - which is not very crowded as well.

Rgds,
    Z
  • There are many uncrowded places in Thailand and it really depends on what else you want. For example a less crowded city is Chiang Rai in the north. Close to that is Pai a little relaxing mountain town with a big tourist infrastructure. Bangkok is crowded but there are relaxing things to do in the city as well, spas and river cruises. Of course there are the islands of which the less crowded ones are a bit harder to get to but all of them should be relaxing. Write back for more specific info.
  • I'm planning on heading to Thailand for a month in the Summer, and I was wondering if I should book now, or if, due to the possibility of violence, I should wait? I'd really like to book it now so I can prepare but I'm worried that it would be a big risk seeing as it seems so unstable.. Is the situation likely to change by June?
  • I'm Thai and live in Bangkok, I'd like to tell u that everything is ok now, so no worries about riots. When will u plan to be here ? Im not sure abt the weather in the north but this period is nice for travel to the south of Thailand.

well, im not an expert but at least i can help u find some basic information and give u some advice.
    this is my email supp_yhong@hotmail.com
    any problem u want to know, feel free to add me ^^

welcome to Thailand ;P
  • I would like to visit Thailand but have been told that the humidity is really high. As I am a teacher I am limited to travel - end of Sept & Begin of Oct or End of Dec & Jan. Any advice for beating the humidity?
  • Avoid September and October for this has the highest rainfall - at least in Bangkok. Dec and Jan is ideal and dry in Bangkok, although at night in the north it can get chilly.

Most accommodation has efficient air conditioners, so no real problem.
  • all i want to know is when storm season is in thailand...
  • Hi i am heading to Thailand on my honeymoon in August and was wondering if it is safe to travel to after the recent violence
  • Thailand is safe, and still a great place for a honeymoon.

Ferrari - in answer to your question, the stormy season, or monsoon, is over September and October, although this is still a good time to visit.
  • How about traveling to Thailand in April last week?
    How is the climate during this period of time?
    Hope it is not too hot and a spending a week will be memorable there..
    pls comment..
  • I will be travelling to Bankok in the beginning of June this year. How is the weather in June?
    Do you have any recommendation for accomodation? Preferebly not so expensive.
  • Thailand and by extention Bangkok is safe.
    authorities advice you never join in the protests.
    tourist areas in BBK and other tourist circuit are safe for tourists.
    the tourist police and foreigners safety is guaraneeted and is no caise to worry.
    ndiritu
  • Thailand is all good and i my friends has just visited the place and they said that there were lots of tourists in Bangkok.
    Nothing has affected thailand not even the recession.
  • I can help for southern part, Samui, Phuket, Krabi, Khaolak
    hktsales@pro-connexions.com
  • I am coming to thailand in May this year! (Excited....erm, yes!) Me and my friend are going to Bangkok first, then to Chaing Mai, then probably down south to Samui and maybe Phi Phi. Are there any other really good places to go that I shouldn't miss?

Louise xx
  • hi. i am cuming to thailand at the beginning of june and would like to know what the weather is like in bangkok and hua hin? and what there is to do in hua hin?
    thanks
  • A friend and i have travelled to Thailand a few months back. Its very safe, you can walk around late at night. In bangkok, you can do a thai cooking course, loads of shopping, you can visit the night market, floating markets etc.Phuket is also a great beach destination- you can go elephant trekking or visit one of the many island trips that are available or go for a thai body messsage.
  • a few of my girlfriends and i planned to visit bangkok this coming late may but my parents are not very keen of this idea. they have told me that due to the political instability and constant riots happening, it's not safe at all to go. can anyone assure me that it's not that dangerous?
  • we are visiting Thailand this April 8, 2009, we hear news about the political unrest. we would like to ask if it is safe to visit Bangkok, Thailand?
  • I am planning to visit Thailand in the end of May. Is it safe?
  • 11 of us have booked our flights to Bangkok on April 16-19, is it safe for us to go there. It is only a few days away........pls give us some advice. Thank you very much.
  • As of today, Bangkok is in a state of emergency. You are advised not to travel there.
  • going thailand end of april is it ok to travel,i know gove say not to travel but talk to some people in thailand say its not as bad as western new make out,anyone tell me wots it like .thanks
  • If there is a state of emergency it was put there for a reason. Anyone taking there family on holiday should reconsider.
  • I was born in Thailand , my advice is you don't have to flight to Bangkok now is very serious situation but you can fly from USA to other cities like if you are going to south of Thailand, like Phuket or Haadyai, totally avoid Bangkok now, or if possible change your plan go another time. I know if you want to go to Thailand first thing is you have to go to Bangkok coz it is a capital of Thailand but now very dangerous if you go there. Well my suggestion is you should go another time.
  • Is it safe for honeymooners travelling on 19th - 25th to Bangkok and Phuket.
  • Hi

we have plans to visit Bangkok and Phuket on 5th may to 10th May. any speculation will the unrest be over by that time. or shall we change our plans.

Thanks in advance for the information.
  • i have plans of going to bangkok and pattaya frm Mumbai to BKK from 18th April to 26th April. Its our first family tripp abroad. Is it safe to go?
  • Dont cancel those tickets yet. First of all, Bangkok aside, the rest of Thailand is completely unchanged by the political unrest. The islands or Chaing Mai or wherever will give no sign of the protests in Bangkok. As of now the recent protests that have left two dead and many more injured are dispersed but are likely to start again. Bangkok downtown didnt have its usual care free atmosphere it usually does now over the Thai new year although news reports state that in other parts of the city celebration has continued as normal. I suggest continuing to Bangkok but keep an eye on the news to avoid ending up in places where there are protesters. Thailand is protective of its tourism industry so in no way is their danger directly aimed at tourists, the only threat is if one is accidently caught up in ensuing violence at the protests.
  • Hi, i am travelling to Bangkok tuesday 21st april and will be staying there for three days before heading to Chaing Mai, then Phuket. Will it be safe by then? I have read that the protesters have moved on, but that they may return..? The Foreign Office still have this notice up on their site "We advise against all but essential travel to Bangkok. British nationals should also review travel plans to other parts of Thailand. British nationals already in Bangkok and other cities affected by the violence are advised to stay indoors and to monitor the media and this travel advice". As much as i'd love to visit the city, see and experience all the amazing things it has to offer, i don't really the see the point of travelling there if it will mean that we have to spend the whole time stuck in a hotel..
    We spoke to our travel agent and they seemed very lax about the whole situation ( i seem to have more information than them..). They told us to just go and enjoy our holiday, and that the airlines etc aren't offering any refunds.. The problem here is that our travel insurance provider has told us that as long as there is a goverment warning not to travel, we're not covered..
    It seems like 'catch 22'. Can anyone give me any advice?
  • Now in Thailand come to the normal, no danger and we are playing water festival (Songkran Festival)
  • We are travelling to Thailand in Decemeber 2009 with kids - our airlines are already booked - is the situation getting calmer or should we try and get the money back.
  • I'm flying to thailand from manchester in june 12 and think everything will be fine. Travelling alone until my wife meets me at BKK, Anyone want to meet up for a chat for the journey ?? 18 hours phew!
    Rich.
  • Thailand is safer now but never know what near future is?
    Better to go Vietnam - Very good promotion cost from 14 april to 39 sep 2009
    Try and get!
    Handetour Vietnam
  • Hy, i-m going to be in Phuket on 26th April for 6 days and then 1 day in Bangkok...It is safe to go there? What can i do? Thanks a lot.
  • I read about a lethal bacteria in the water in Phuket! It is safe to swimm in the sea or is better in the pool? Thanks.
  • The political chaos in Thailand resulted in the decrease of tourists coming to Thailand. It may have caused the tourists feel insecure traveling while the situation seemed to involve violence. However, the great attempt in solving the problem and getting back the security confidence has been being put by the government. The situation now is under control. Moreover, the government has shown that no violence has been done in repressing the protesters. It has been reiterated that the political reform in Thailand cannot be achieved by violence.

This should ensure the tourists about the safety traveling in Thailand. It may take time for foreigners to fully understand the situation that it is not as bad as it seems. The tourism business has a hope to get back the tourists and also the confidence in traveling here. Thailand is still a peaceful country as it always is. Welcome back to Thailand, the land of smile.

www.realexperiencethailand.com
  • beware of the tuk-tuk drivers , they all speak with forked tounge and will rip you off at the slightest opportunity !!!
  • hi richy..im coming to bkk on 13 th june all by myselffrom singapore. we cud catch up???
  • Hello. me and my partner want to come and stay a whole week in bangkok in mid august... is it safe?? shud we book our site seeing tours from here in new zealand or is it cheaper to book them in bangkok??? is the shopping really as good as people say?? whats the lebua at state tower hotel like??
  • Hey guys ive been planning my trip with my partner and our son for awhile now, were suppose to leave
    in October but we're still unsure if we should go ahead with the trip or not.
  • Hi! I'm planning to visit thailand in November. I keep reading about warnings to travelers. Should I be concerned?
  • Mel - Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world to visit. The politics effect only a minority of locals and visitors won't be aware of the tensions. Honestly, your biggest danger is sunburn and falling coconuts.
  • Thanks David!!
  • I'm participating in an exchange program with my school and Khon Kaen University. Is it safe right now to travel to Thailand? Is it safe in Khon Kaen?
  • I visit Thailand quite often- second trip this year. I go with my family and it is the safest destination I have visited about the same as Singapore and a lot safer than my home town of perth, Western Australia. I was rhere during the riots earlier in the year and they had no effet whatsoever on any travelers I met. The biggest danger in Thailand is if you hire a scooter - this is THE number one killer of travelers! Being ripped off bt a Taxi or Tuk-Tuk driver would be second (you might loose a dollar or so that way and even up to ten dollars if you fall victim of a real heavy criminal). Be on the usual alert for pick pockets and bag theft - but even that is far less than I have experienced in my own ountry of Australia. The food is great and the only tmmy upset any of us has had was from eating in posh hotels - street food is cooked in front of you fast and very hot so has proven safer - I keep away from salads. Do not be a loud agressive traveler - always smile and walk away rather than argue and you will have a great trip. You are more likely to have problems with other travelers than woth the Thai people. learn a few words of the language it makes for good traveling and the locals respet that you are making an effort. respect the locals - it is their country. Show a lot of respect visiting temples ansd understand that Thai people love the King - do not under any circumstance make any negative comments about Royalty. That just about covers safety.
    Where to visit - Bangkok, Kanchanaburi (rivers, a small but fun town, Tiger Temple), Chiang Mai (Great for Songkrahn and Christmas/New year - Old City with heaps of adventure trips - ballooning, ultralites, rafting, zipline, elephant trecks, buffalo markets, good food, scenery), Krabi to Phuket (Jungle trecking and live among the trees at Khao Sok: Canoe trips and rock climbing, world class fishing (Gillham's Fishing) or veg out on fab beaches at Krabi: old Phuket town for a glimpse of how ordinary Thai people live.)

BKK - Chao Praya river trips - to Wat Arun, Kho Kret island. The Royal palace. The Wooden Palace. Jim Thompson's House. the Royal Barges. Hire a longtail and go up the khlongs. Cross BKK on the Khlong Ferry on San Seab. Siam Paragon for shopping and Underwater World - also very good and by Australian standards cheap cinema and ten pin Bowling. Jatuchack markets. China town. Tea at The Oriental Hotel (if you have aver herd of Noel Coward or Summerset Maugham) - go by their private boat. Great jazz and blues (Brown Sugar, Saxaphone Club). Beer halls for viewing the locals. Top posh restaurants and clubs. Very expensive hotels and very cheap and good value Guesthouses. Visit Ayutthya on the train - stay overnight so you can see the ruins lit up, and return by Rice Barge down the Chao Praya River. Go go-karting at RCA building. Pantip Plaza for all things computing or electronic. MBK for cheap second hand phones and clothing - and just about everything else (nearly opposite Pantip Plaza). Khao San Road - you love it or hate it (I love it - well more the area about it really - soi Rambutri etc). Get a massage get a nail job get a tattoo. Go fishing. Go clubbing. Go to a cooking class or learn massage.

Hua Hin - greta for a gentle sea-side town with excellent golf.

The islands if the beach scene and partying is for you.

These are the things I have come accross in my travels.

There will be a thousand more things to do and places to see in fabulous Thailand. By the way, I am 62years old and have visited or lived in over 40 countries and I still love the Thai people and their country. We are leaving in a few days for the New Year(western) fireworks (plufai - in Thai) in Chiang mai and having a side trip to Lampang, lamphun and Chiang Dao.
  • Travelling to bkk end of may. Appreciate the violence at present but I would value a rationale view on the probability of the country descending into a protracted conflict. Is the probability of the military couping the current govt and handing it back to thaskin red shirts? Also going to Chiangmai and sumuai.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged