Safe travel for woman in Ghana?
  • Is it safe for a woman to travel alone in Ghana? I plan to visit Accra, Sunyani, the Cape Coast and Mole National Park. Is it advisable to use public transport (mini buses) or would it be safer to use a taxi? I am also prepared to rent a car from Accra if necessary, and possible. Are the Cape Coast buses reliable and safe?
  • Lizzy, have you been to third world countries before? If you're an old-hand at third world adventures, then Ghana could be a snap. If you have no experience in the third world, it could be difficult, frustrating, even dangerous by yourself. It really depends on if you have contacts in Ghana. If you're a novice traveler and are going alone with no one to help when you get there, you could be in for a steep learning curve.

I've been up and down the coast with a rented car with driver and have encountered a number of "official police" roadblock shakedowns where we were accused of doing something illegal and the fine was to be paid on the spot. Fairly common. The roads are generally terrible. Cars are generally in terrible states of repair. One of my rentals (with driver) had the transmission blow apart leaving me stranded in the middle of no where. Another had a fuel line leak nearly blowing the car up, leaving me stranded in the middle of no where.

Keep your wits about you and be aware of the possibility of being scammed. Corruption is a problem, water and food born bacteria is a very real problem. Coastal waters especially near towns and villages are very polluted, as they are used as toilets. When you think of Ghana's beaches, don't think California and Highway 1. They're not the same. Just be careful. Don't flaunt your wealth, keep valuables to yourself or don't bring them.

On the true upside, I've met some wonderful, helpful people in Ghana. It can be a very interesting place to visit. I'm a photographer who has worked in 34 countries and spent nearly half a year working in Africa, but only a few weeks in Ghana. I always work hard to stay healthy and never travel alone. My photo gear draws too much attention to me and I tend to look like a target. And because I'm occasionally gone for long periods of time, I have a lot of cash on me. So again, I'm super cautious.

Enjoy Ghana and it's people. It's a colorful place. Just be careful if you do it alone. And I wouldn't drive it alone.
  • Do you think that it is safe for a teenaged girl (16) to spend a month in a school program teaching children in an orphange? I have been assured that an adult would be with her at all times and that the villagers would never harm her. However, although it is an entirely different part of the world, I remember being told in Kuala Lumpor, "don't let go of your childrens' hand, white slavery is very popular." THAT of course has left a permanent scar for travelling in third world countries!
  • I enter my comments as a Ghanaian. therefore I may be a bit biased.
    1. Lizzy, Ghana is a very safe place to travel to. as said in the commentary above, sanitation is a problem. please take your malaria...medication and drink the bottled water. there are various brands sold everywhere. this is because your immune system may not be that strong. for being a lady, that is no problem at all. travel in public transport. it is inconveniencing but safest. of course when there is a breakdown, you are in a group and that is more confortable. the bigger the vehicle, the better!!! within the city, the mini buses called trotro are safest. late at nite or where the trotros dont exist, you take a taxi. the taxi drivers will always mention a higher price. remember you can bargain for a reduction in taxi fares. do that before you start the journey. most of the banks in ghana offer visa/master and other international money services. you could carry your card and take the money bit by bit. or when travelling e.g to the mole national park, send the money by transfer and cash it at the nearest big town (Damongo).

2. mother to 16 year old: i think your daughter is too young. its safe in terms of slavery, kidnapping etc. The villages are the safest places in Ghana. your daughter will be treated like a queen. she will be pampered. but she is not emotionally strong enough. when she is 20 she could come.
  • I wanted to know when you leave accra ghana, by Kotoka international airport, do you have to have funds on you before you can board a plane, and if so how much. someone was telling me that they needed funds before boarding a plane over there.
  • I'm visiting a friend in Tamale and i don't know anything about the place. I have tried to research but i don't get enough info. I want to know the culture, the people and if the place is safe enough..I'm a South African so im not really conserned about the public as I think is the same as South Afica but i really would love to hear form a ghananian or someone who's been to Tamale before.
  • Regarding the question asked by zulmaria, I am eager to read your answer on that. I have a friend who wants to visit the US from Ghana, but claims that there is a financial obligation to be met before being allowed to leave that country for this one. It sounds like possible scam to me.
  • @ zulmaria: funds to board a plane? Why? It is not usual and it can't be true. Tickets/boarding are not purchased at check-in points and they include tax. NO money disbursement should be done at the airport, aside what travelers wish to make (buying stuff, tipping, etc.).
  • @Jekyl: The only financial obligation is that needed for acquiring a passport, visa, ticket, vaccinations, ...., stuff like that.
  • @Kayj: Tamale is safe, despite political and ethnic unrest in the not too distant past. Stay clear of Bawku, however. It's been unstable for some time now, for the same reasons. Tamale should be tons safer than SA, I figure.
  • Hi I am going to be moving to Ghana and would like to know if there are any tourist attractions in the Bhong Ahafo Region and if there is a Twi Phrase book or dictionary that can be purchased in Accra or Komasi.
  • Well.. Ghana is a very safe place. I have been there in 2008 and stayed there for 3 months. People are very friendly.. and very helpful. But also remember.. just like the USA... there are some areas you have to becareful not to find your self wandering around. The taxi drivers will try to cheat you when they see you are from some where else. Just be smart.... and becareful.. and you will enjoy your trip to Ghana..
  • Hi, I guess my questions are a little redundant but Im asking any way. Is it safe for two girls to travel up through Tamale and into Mole Park? The internet seems to provide various levels of caution, from no problem to travelers should re-evaluate their need to visit this area. We've both been to 3rd world countries before but I still think we're fairly novice. Is it safe to go see the elephants??
  • I to have a girl friend that lives in Accra Ghana and she tells me she need 300 dollars to board a flight out of Ghana airport, Is this true ?
  • i know there is departure tax from ghana airport but i believe this is only around £15 (???) $25usd
  • am south african and i got a boyfriend in ghana,i wish to visit am scared of the ritual killings all over ghana.i gt to a point were i dont think am gonna be safe even with my boyfriend dnt get me wrong i love him to bits but cant trust a foreign man with my life just like that.i love him so much bt am scared to visit him i think he better come to south africa so that my family can meet him!
  • as a south african woman in love with a ghanaian man,do u think starting at the south african ghana embassy to report that am in ghana they must look after my safety return to south africa will help me to be safe in ghana?
  • @ mother to a 16 year old. I know this is quite a bit after you commented, but just in case you're still wondering about your daughter going to Ghana, I'd like to tell you that I traveled to Ghana by myself when I was 17 (3 years ago) and lived with a native family for 3 months. I spent my time working in an orphanage and preschool in Accra. I felt very safe and had the time of my life. People were very kind and welcoming. In fact, I am returning to Ghana this year to be an intern for two months. That said, it does require a certain level of maturity and level-headed-ness. Be prepared for culture shock!
  • @Deli
    I have been to both South Africa and Ghana and in my opinion, Ghana is 90+% safer than South Africa and there is no need to be afraid of ritual killings.
    There are no "ritual killings all over ghana".
    There is a relatively low crime rate and the people are very friendly and helpful.
    As with any place that you would want to travel to, you just have to be take necessary precautions like avoiding late night travels.
    You should rather be more concerned with contracting malaria than being kidnapped for a ritual.
    Get your anti-malarial medicine and you should be ok.
  • KB thank u very much,after reading what your journalist hs put on the net i was disappointed abt ghana bt today i got a different side abt ghana.KB if u dnt mind pls send me your details i need to talk to u offline that is if u are ghanaian.thank you in advance!
  • My mother in law wants take 1 year old to Ghana for a month. Besides me missing him does anyone think this would be a good idea? I am worried that his little body right now being so young cant handle it. She did take my step-daughter 10 years ago, but I am worried about new diseases. Please help.
  • Have meet a friend over the net working in Accra, Ghana. He is supposed to be wealthy Australian. His son was the victam of a Hit and rund accident. As he is wishing the best of care for his son, he has hired a private Doctor. He tells me, He needs $38,000.00, aust., dollars for the doctor to look after the childs injuries. Fractured Scull and broken limbs. As you are unable to use credits cards in Gahna, and is unble to access money from Australia over there, wants me to send him the money. I am concerned. Please help me
  • @spidereyes

This is a classic scam. Don't send any money. Credit cards are accepted in Ghana, and if you're able to send him money, then why can't he have someone send his own?
  • KB youve really being to Africa everything you said is true
  • Spidereyes
    Tell them to get incontact with the Australian Embassy
    They should be able to help
    Plus should have there travel plans on smarttravel.com and also if they are wealth they would have travel insurance (as suggested on smarttravel.com, travel agents and major booking sites in Australia)
    This website also tells them how to get help over seas.
  • Scam Prevent.
    We offer Third Party Verification services in Nigeria and Ghana to prevent you from being scammed.

We verify and confirm any business or personal offers you receive from Nigeria and Ghana before you part with your money.

E.g. if it is online relationship, you may request us to take the picture of your online lover for you. to confirm if the person is actually who they are. We go to location based on details you provide to get official picture. E.g. if it is document, we verify it from the Relevant Agency for you and send you the information.

Please note that we charge for our service depending on the location of your online contact you want us to verify for you.

If you would like to use our service, send us an email : info@consumervibe.co.uk

If you know anyone who has received any offers (personal or business) from Nigeria or Ghana, do recommend our service, before they lose their hard earned money.
  • I am 18 years old and i am planning to travel to ghana with an organization to volunteer in an orphanage for two-three months , i was wondering if people have any ideas if it is safe to do so and any tips?
  • Hey dan im also looking to go to ghana to volunteer but just want to find out how safe it is an stuff like that before i actuali apply properly for it. what organzation are you going through to do it?
  • I've lived and travelled in Ghana for 3 months last year (I'm an 18 year old girl) and I never encountered any problems with regards to safety. As long as you use common sense knowledge - don't show any valuable things, don't walk around late at night or drink too much alcohol, take care of your health (only drink bottled water, use malaria medication/prevention etc.) Just all the things you should do whenever you are travelling in a third world country. The only annoying thing is that they might try to let you pay too much for things you buy - which will still be very cheap.
    For the rest, I think Ghana is one of the savest countries I've been to so far - the Ghanianans are very very friendly and helpful, they will take care of you wherever you go (both in small towns and large cities). I've travelled on my own a couple of times, never felt unsafe. I would recommend travelling by STC buses for larger distances - they are both comfortable and safe. For a smaller distance or remote destinations you can use minibuses called trotro's which are very cheap. Also, in the cities like Tamale, Kumasi & Accra (shared) taxis are affordable. After a while you don't care anymore about driving in a car which is almost broken.
    I would say, just enjoy the adventure, use your common sense and you'll have the best time of your life :)
  • Hey jess im going with an organization called international volunteer HQ, im going in september for three months ! Thanks for the help Suus
  • I am volunteering to teach in hohoe ghana during the week. Weekends will be my free time Will it be possibl to go other palces from there safely? Mainly Mole Park, wii falls, etc
  • i plan to visit Ghana in January 2012,i am so worried about the ritual killings i even had night mares two times,how do i protect myself,can i report by the South African embassy that i have arrived and they must check me out? i really must go but how do i manage to stay happy when i cannot trust the place?
  • I am a white South African woman and I met a black Ghanaian man on an online dating site seven months ago. At first he tried to scam me under a different profile that being a USA soldier in Iraq. After three months I played him first and got to know his real identity. For the past four months we have been on Skype each night and phoning one another. I have fallen in love with this man and he proclaims same. I want to fly to Ghana in March to meet him but still, I'm wary of being played as I know all about the Phase Two of scamming and I'm concerned for my safety. I need to meet him to know the truth and to get closure on this relationship. Is it safe for me to take this risk and meet this man?
  • @ Iris, don't do it. If he lied the first time he will the second time. Your safety is at risk.
  • Iris, I have to agree with Nina. Travelling to Ghana to meet a man you know tried to scam you is a terrible idea. The best thing you can do is cut off all contact with him and move on.
  • @ Iris, please listen to me and I know this is hard. I also (almost) fell for a scammer (Gambian) born Nigerian aahhhh.. Luckily my ex (whom I had a baby with) was Nigerian and he already had his 'Green Card' when we met, I left him due to him being a major player (YUK) while I was pregnant grrr... It's fine, the issue is this, if I didn't ask him about this Gambian/Nigerian guy that I had met online, then I wouldn't have known the seriousness of what I had gotten myself into. Do you know that any scammer is a cold hearted criminal, ooh yes I know that he seems 'SO REAL' right??? yes 'I' know'.. And I know that you already know its very risky, but you just want to take the 'chance' the 1% chance that he could actually be genuine right?? I know again how you feel but when my ex warned me that I will be stepping one foot into my own grave by going to see if he could possibly be REAL, then I really opened my eyes, you see I too saw red flags, not one but a few and I still wondered, hmm could he be sincere about his reasons why... NO.. Do you know that you are being hypnotized by possible voodoo for your mind to allow you to think this way, see you 'do' know better but the other part of your mind (which these scammers work VERY well on) is taking over your own intelligence and THAT is how they 'get us'.. Here is one very likely possibility of what he can do.. You go there with your return ticket to see if he's REAL, they abduct you, use you to scam for them there, while you can't escape and they send one of their wife's back to your country with a fake passport (YOURS) to live there and send home all the riches she can find while using your identity... Is this not enough to scare you?? Well this may be a worse case scenario, but I wouldn't risk my good life for it, would you?? I think you yourself know the other possibilities eg. being used for a green card, or getting married there so when you come home you feel obliged to send him money as his 'WIFE', after he made you feel sooo loved when you were there, hmmm.. Please let me tell you that I know how good he makes you feel and if it were real, how sweet would that really be huh?..BUT what we come to lose sight of is that we really can live without that, we just get trapped into thinking that we can't, get me? I really do hope this helps you Iris.. If you still can't stop (and I do understand) pls consider therapy asap, my thoughts are with you, remember I do understand.
  • Common sense is perhaps the most important safety tool - it is important to take precautions whether male or female when traveling. There are different ways to travel in every place to visit and some are safer than others. Gut instinct is usually a useful indicator - if you feel uncomfortable where you are then get out. Travel is about experiencing new things but it is not worth putting yourself in danger to get those experiences.
  • hi,
    I just want to asked one question why you hesitate to visit Ghana?
    Ghana is safe place for all, you can visit any place of Ghana....i also visit last month at that place,that's why i recommended this...
  • Hi
    Is Malabo a safe place for a Indian women to work please help....
  • I hope the moderators for this board see the messages from userbans_l565 and removes this posters messages but if not please be warned...

Do not send an email to the address in the posting....likely this is a scammer or an accomplice to the scammers who will just be looking to scam you again...usually this is referred to as a "recovery scam" don't fall for it. 

Look for the email address mentioned in userbans message in this website which supports my claim. See John's response to this posters comments.

http://www.pbase.com/bmcmorrow/accra&page=3

Hopefully once you realize you have been scammed you stop communicating with the scammer and all parties associated with him/her. Your money cannot be recovered and you will never really find out who the person is behind the scam.

Learn and move on. If you are looking for online dating sites for relationships try to stick to your own area and make plans to meet in a public place. If the person is unable to meet and makes excuses to be going overseas especially to Africa or in particular Ghana you know you are communicating with a scammer. Stop all communication and move on.

• Once again, really good advice from Hopingforanswers.
  • Ghana is a very friendly country, ideal for first time travellers to Africa.Thousands of women travel alone in Africa each year, personal safety is probably the number one concern you have. 
    Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia and South Africa these aren't always the most comfortable to visit. I have experience traveling alone in Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, Ghana, Rwanda, and Uganda and found them all to be very stress free.
    You should tell our Embassy or Consulate about your trip. And do not worry about Cape Coast buses reliability and safety.

• Wish yah Safe Traviling.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion