Driving to LA from San Fran
  • My friend and I will be driving down to LA from San Fran at the beginning of September. From what I have read we should definitely take the coastal road taking in the Big Sur and should also visit Monteray and Carmel. We are leaving San Fran on a Tues morn and flying out of LA the following Sat eve and so we have 5 days and 4 nights. We are both quite 'beachy' and so looking for recommendations of what not to miss on the way down and what to do in LA. We could possibly leave San Fran on the Monday if you think we need more time (we are staying with friends there and will have been there since the previous Thursday afternoon). Thanks!
  • If you leave Tuesday morning, then you should arrive in LA in the evening. I would just take my time with the seven hour drive to LA - stop whenever you see a beach you like, pack a picnic and have it at one of the stops you take, and then arrive late in LA (try to avoid the later evening hours since that's when you hit traffic - actually the later you arrive the better). Once in LA, you can spend the day seeing the touristy stuff and still go to the beach at least once every day if you choose to do so. Some great beaches like Malibu, Huntington Beach, Santa Monica, and Venice are great to visit day or night. I think you can even include a day trip to San Diego if you want. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion