Skiing with children - which ski resorts are best?
  • Hi

I am considering taking my children skiing this season - I have two boys aged 4 and 5 - and have a couple of questions;'
    - is 4 too young to take children on a ski trip - will he enjoy it or will I just ruin my holiday!?
    - if I do take them, where is a good resort and when is the best time if year. Is it too cold in January and February, should i wait until Easter? I was thinking about Meribel or Verbier.
    - do I need to book ski schools in advance? How long can I leave them there?

Any advice would be great.

Dan
  • Hi John,

I don't have kids of my own but I have spent a bit of time in the European ski resorts with friends who do. Most resorts offer ski schools for the kids or even babysitting facilities. In every ski resort i have been to the has always been loads of kids around, they will learn to ski much quicker than adults and you will probably be trying to keep up with them. Which ski resort? Meribel is a great resort and the weather shouldn't be a problem as long as they have the right gear. Definitely book ski school in advance or they may be full.

John
  • Hello Dan !
    The comments that John provided are good.
    You can find good ski schools for children in almost every ski resort. For smaller kids, they take them for all day, including lunch, and the format is a "ski kindergarten" combining some ski lessons with other fun and play, some indoors when it is cold.
    Some ski resorts have a reputation for this kind of school. Mayrhofen Austria is one, but there are many similar ones.
    The selection of the destination should also involve a consideration of your own ski preferences. Some, such as Verbier, are more oriented to skilled skiers (WTSS rates it 5-star for experts, but only 2-star for beginners). Unless you are an advanced skier, a great deal of the terrain will not be accessible (and certainly not for beginning kids). Nonetheless, you pay the generally higher rates for these resorts.
    For this reason, some smaller resorts are better family values.
    Let me know if you have further questions.
    With best regards,
    Richard
  • Hi Dan

We always take our children (4 and 9) to Au Coin du Feu run by Chilly Powder in Morzine/Avoriaz in France.
    They have excellent children's facilties including a cr
  • A good resort for skiing with children is Flaine in France. The Guardian reckons its the best of the lot because it has "Plenty of creches and kids’ clubs too. Ecole du Ski Française is more child-friendly here than in some of its neighbours; and there is a big terrain park with its own lift and a gentle line of jumps where young kids will have a ball. And what’s more, the transfer from Geneva takes less than an hour, a real grief-saver."

Another good bet is Les Saisies, which is all the features of Flaine, but a bit more village charm.

I've heard good things about http://www.familyski.co.uk/ - they are a company that offers catered, good value but not bucket-shop cheap holidays, and trained childcarers that give parents a chance to enjoy themselves without worrying about little Johnnie good off-piste permanently.
  • Hi Nick,
    I have a kid and he's turning 5 this year. We're going to France next month for a vacation. Maybe I'll try to visit Au Coin du Feu run by Chilly Powder and see what you just said. I'm excited and hoping we will enjoy our trip to France. I am excited to write custom essays about this tour.
  • I have two daugthers and always go to Le Grand Bornand or La Clusaz in France. Two great family friendly ski resorts with beautiful slopes and environment. Both have creche and kids club facilities which also give ski lessons. If looking for a hotel with kids or baby club you can try greatfamilyholidays.com they have a search engine by kids age...
  • Many families like Zermatt in Switzerland. It is a car free resort with a lot of activities. There is a children area called Wolli Park which is specially build for beginners for all ages. The area is connected with red and blue slopes around which make it easy to progress. Try familyskiing.com. They organize tailormade skiing and activities in Zermatt.
  • Here is a list of the best ski resorts for families with young children from Mountain Beds (Melissa Brownlow): Les Gets, Morzine, Alpe d’Huez, Sainte Foy, La Plagne, Bad Gastein, La Rosiere, Champoluc, Zell am See, Obergurgl, Les Arcs, St Martin de Belleville.

And for families with teenage children: Val d’Isere, Les Arcs, Les Gets, Morzine, Tignes, Val Thorens, Courchevel, Meribel, St. Anton, Verbier, Ischgl,

Note that these are European resorts - anyone with advice on American/ Canadian resorts?

For more information see the Ski Resorts page on wordtravels.com.
  • 4 years is pretty young age and ski at the age of 4 might be dangerous, since you want them to be admitted in ski school than it is good but still I am not sure about the minimum age for the schools because I have seen once a boy 7 years was restricted from ski due to age restriction of * years well this applies in UK, you can find regulations at your country.
  • There is a great resort for children called Vaujany, which is linked to Alpe d'Huez. I recommend that you take your children as young as possibly but go in the spring when it is a bit warmer. It is often more fun for the children if you go as a group, in a shared chalet or with another family. Good article on skiing with children here: chelstondirect.com/info-hub/top-tips-for-ski-holidays-with-kids.html.
  • Hello, have you been in Slovakia in the Eastern Europe? I have been with my kids in small resort called Liptovsky Dvor. Directly opposite of hotel is ski slope - ideal for families with small children (we have 1 and 4 yrs old boys). One was in ski school and one in buggie.It is so close to hotel, if kids are tired or hungry, you just cross quite road and you are "at home" Accommodation in the hotel is in wooden chalets - great for a family - it has 2 floors, on the upper one are two bedrooms + bathroom, on the groundfloor is living room with fireplace and another bathroom. My children LOVE IT! I can recommend and definately will come back.
  • Hi,

If someone read this post, I would say that Merivel and Verbier are quite (very) expansive resorts...
    There are a lot of familiy resorts not very well known even by the french guys themselves !

You will find some examples of family resorts there
    http://www.i-skimontagne.com/petites_stations_de_ski_familiales.php but of course it depends on how big you want the resort...

The best is to avoid french holidays in order to avoid the crowd ! Maybe March is the best month because there is (in general) still a lot of snow remaining and the weather is (again in general) better.
    Some resorts are sunier than others, for exemple in the south of Alps (Auron, Puy Saint Vincent and Pelvoux/Vallouise, Serre Chevalier, the small and very high village of Saint-Véran) or exposed to the south (that means to the sun !) as Aussois, La Rosière (but windy for this latter one).

I think it's better to book ski school in advance.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged